Stranded In Stereo: Post Hardcore Archives: Slint

Friday, April 6, 2007

Post Hardcore Archives: Slint

What exactly is math rock? Nevermind what Allmusic has to say about it, it's a genre that is rooted in indie rock, but has many complex elements , from complex time signatures to songs that stretch well past the three or four minute mark. Many good bands came out of this scene in the mid '90s, like Hum, Chavez, Slint and Rodan to the slew of great DC post hardcore bands. Once a week I am going to talk about one of my favorites from this genre, usually an older band that has been forgotten about, but sometimes a newer find as well.



Like most people, I got into Spiderland well after Slint dissolved. I must have been a freshman or sophomore in high school, and I read about them in way too many zines and mags too not pay attention to them. Finally, I heard a song from them on my local college radio station, forcing me to send away some well-concealed cash for a copy of one of their oft-mentioned albums.

When I finally listened to Spiderland, my mind was officially blown. Everything about it was spooky and rather scary, the perfect album to listen to with the lights out. I was also fascinated by the way the songs slowly built, and without any warning, there would be an explosion of guitars and drums. It was startling, but effective.



I've never seen Slint, nor will I ever. I don't do reunions -- there's something not quite right about them, but if I could somehow go back to the early '90s, I'd be all over their shows, I am sure they were massive.

Download: "Rhoda" [mp3] / "Good Morning Captain" [mp3] /// [Buy Here]

No comments: