Stranded In Stereo: No Country For Old Men: In (More) Cineplexes Soon

Monday, November 12, 2007

No Country For Old Men: In (More) Cineplexes Soon

There should be several reasons why I love living in the city, but I can only think of two this morning: one being that I love no longer having anywhere from a 75-120 minute commute to go to a show, and the other being that when movies come out in "limited release" or "select cities," I luck out and get a chance to see movies weeks before I would have back at home.

So this weekend I got to see the new Coen Brothers flick, their adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's No Country For Old Men. The movie, not even being shown on 30 screens in the U.S. yet, played to a packed house on a Saturday afternoon, much to my delight. Then again, with all the critical praise it has been receiving, on top of the fact that it's a Coen Brothers movie, it is no surprise, really.

I don't want to say much for fear of giving anything away, but, to sit in a theatre in pure silence for two hours is just intense. There's not even a soundtrack; the only percussion provided is from the gasps and beating hearts of the crowd. It's all a tale of being at the wrong place at the wrong time, and the repercussions that follow. That's all I'm saying. Go see it when it comes out, or if you are like me you can catch it now at your local art theater.

If not, go see No Country For Old Men when it makes wide release November 21st.

Trailer time:

No comments: