Stranded In Stereo: The Stranded Local Q&A: Destruct-a-thon

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Stranded Local Q&A: Destruct-a-thon

This week's local band spotlight comes from Destruct-a-thon, straight from the depths of Boston's metal/punk scene. Fueled by political outrage and driven by a tumultuous wall of guitar, Destruct-a-thon has been making noise in their headquarters of Allston, Ma., since the summer of 2000. Led by Duncan Wilder Johnson's "mental patient on crack" stage presence, their gritty sound is made ten-fold with Michele Morgan's furious guitar riffs, Sean Linehan's low end attack on bass and Eric O'Brien's fast paced drumming insanity. Destruct-a-thon's latest EP, titled "Aloha Jihad" and out just yesterday has 2 songs, 1 cover and 2 bonus tracks. Tracked at New Alliance in Cambridge with His Majesty Ethan Dussault (God.Fires.Man., The Lot Six, Smoke or Fire, Everybody Out!) and mastered by Nick Zampiello (Dropkick Murphy's, Torche, Campaign For Real Time, Against Me!, Cave In, Converge) at New Alliance East. The EP features the standout track "Aloha Jihad" -- a blistering 2 minutes and 33 second tirade against the Bush Administration. Cruise on below to grab the track, and if you like what you hear, make sure you check them out this Friday at the Middle East Upstairs for the official "Aloha Jihad" EP release party with We're All Gonna Die and 26 Beers.

Now read on to see Destruct-a-thon frontman Duncan Wilder Johnson answer the same five questions Stranded In Stereo always asks local bands.


Hailing from Boston, makes us better than all those non-Boston bands because
Okay, going for honesty here: I don’t think that being from Boston makes us “better” but I would say it makes our skin a lot thicker. Boston is an intense place with a deep history in local music and punk rock. When we play other places, I notice that we’re the most energetic band on the bill, the most relentless band on the bill, and often the heaviest band on the bill. People in New England like their rock LOUD and people in Boston are a tough crowd. So, if you don’t “bring it”, you’re not going to last too long around here. That being said, Boston is where we cut our teeth, so when we play other towns people’s jaws drop because they see that we’re not fucking around.


Name at least three bands that are still around and touring that you’d love to be on a bill with, and think it fits well
Clutch, The Sword, and Shat


Your favorite Boston venue to perform in is
This is like asking which of your kids do you like the best? We built our following playing O’Briens (so hats off to those guys), but I have to say I like playing The Middle East and Great Scott’s a lot too. We’re making our debut at Church this summer and I’m looking forward to that. Other than that, I’m dying to do an all ages punk show at The Papercut Zine Library or The Elks Lodge.


Are there any genres that influence your music conceptually, rather than sonically? (In that you can’t hear from simply listening to the music, but from getting into the structure or mathematics of the song-writing, etc.)
I’m not sure that I understand the question, but if you’re asking me what inspires me in regards to our music other than other music then I’d have to say Visual Art. I went to Art school. I have an insatiable love for
photography. I read. I see films (especially political documentaries). When I write the lyrics for a Destruct-a-thon song, I tend to write about what’s upsetting me in my life: people dying, general frustrations, relationships ending, and corrupt government shenanigans.

Your favorite local bar to hit up when not doing the whole band deal is

The Model or The Middle East. The Model is an evening place (often after shows) and I go to The Middle East earlier in the day on weekends to get food, drink a beer, and write crap.

[Myspace] http://www.myspace.com/destructathon
[Mp3] Aloha Jihad

Catch them live: Friday May 2, at the Middle East Upstairs with We're All Gonna Die, 26 Beers and Official

No comments: