Stranded In Stereo: Can't Stop Spinning: "rr vs. d" by Au

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Can't Stop Spinning: "rr vs. d" by Au

I guess we can thank the fine folks at Pitchfork for this column.

I was bored over the weekend and they have the video up for "rr vs. d" for one-man band
Au. I had been reading about their latest album, Verbs, a whole bunch so I thought I'll give it a try. So I put the video on, but don't really pay attention to it so much as I do the song and I was just floored. Starting out with these grand scales of piano just one after the other on top of each other, and then these hand claps usher in this choir of angelic voices. Had I died and gone to heaven? Friends hoop and holler between the choir's choice lines, syncopated handclaps and a random snare drum pans left, pans right. This has to be what people who take that fatal hit of LSD hear on the escalator up to the Great Gig in the Sky.

And it doesn't stop there. "Get it / 1, 2, 3" a fade and BOOM! A zany collection of horns and other assorted instruments come out of nowhere for the song's mid section. It's like you stepped of said escalator and are given nothing but the grandest of entries before you meet up with the Big Guy that Homer only saw now again from chest down. He had big feet.

And the lord comes to you, and he'll sing to you his praise as you go through the gate. And then it's over. 3:48 of pure heavenly bliss. It's .. mind blowing. It's .. worth repeated listens. I'd be happy knowing I could die and enter Heaven hearing this.

Download: "rr vs. d" [mp3] // [Buy Here]

1 comment:

spookyva said...

Little doubt, the dude is completely fair.