Stranded In Stereo: New Release Tuesday: Crystal Stilts

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

New Release Tuesday: Crystal Stilts

They played CMJ several times - possibly more than Passion Pit did - yet I didn't get to see Crystal Stilts once. The one time I was in place to see them they didn't go on until well past 4 in the morning, and after sitting through Gang Gang Dance for a third begrudgingly time, I couldn't bare to sit through Ponytail for the second time within five hours.

Phew, now that I got that off of my chest.

Ever since a co-worker mentioned I should check them out, their theme song, "Crystal Stilts," has been taking the lead in my self-poll for best song of this year. But now that
Alight of Night is out this week and been in my possession long enough, I've found other songs that stick out: Brad Hargett's warbled vocal is very reminiscent of some Thurston Moore character we're all familiar with. The difference here is that rather than snarl over difficult to comprehend walls of feedback and catastrophic drums and other non-sense, it's all catchy melodies. "Stilts" the song has this surfer vibe to it, complete with requisite farifsa organ. The closing number, "The City In The Sea," just pulsates over a delicate guitar as Townsend sings of the sea swallowing things whole, tying together a song that could rival "NYC" on so many levels.

They're another band from New York, they're another one amuck in all the buzz, and hopefully they'll be around long enough to make an impact with their future releases.

Download: "Crystal Stilts" [mp3] // [Buy Here]

1 comment:

site said...

For my part one and all ought to look at it.