Stranded In Stereo: Cant Stop Spinning: Snowfall & Starlight by Alina Simone

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Cant Stop Spinning: Snowfall & Starlight by Alina Simone

This is my 7-inch. There are many like it but this one is mine. My 7-inchis my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My 7-inch without me is useless. Without my 7-inch, I am useless. My 7-inch is human, even as I, because it is my life. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage. I will keep my 7-inch clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. My 7-inch and myself are the defenders of my country..Record collectors and music critics have a bond to vinyl. We the devoted few own hundreds, thousands or even tens of thousands. It is the last analog link to the past, a tangible connection to the audible past. I present to you here the translucent red split 7-inch Alina Simone / Black Swans. You can get one here. Mine is #85 out of a limited run of 500. Only 100 of the 500 are red. I was not familiar with the Black Swans, but I know Alina, and this is her first foray into the split 7 format. I asked her why vinyl? Why Sunken treasure Records? Why now? She told me a simple story that began with an overheard conversation in a Brooklyn bar:
Guy # 1: "But why buy music on vinyl instead of on CD?"
Guy # 2: "Because vinyl gets you laid."
The song begins with the sound of the gorgeous air-powered Harmochord organ then about two minutes in the drums go all churlish adorning the melody with accents and off beats. It's something incongruous with her last album and most importantly a hint at the next one. I'm slowly wearing a hole in my 7-inch as you will with yours.

No comments: