Stranded In Stereo: The Stranded Local Q&A: Movers & Shakers

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The Stranded Local Q&A: Movers & Shakers

Last weekend I caught a set from Movers & Shakers and they instantly reminded me of The Replacements although their Myspace descirbes their sound as “a whiskey-soaked cigarette cooking the heroin you’re about to shoot up while Tom Waits plays on the jukebox through the walls of the dive-bar bathroom. Plus some reggae.”

Tomorrow you can check them out at the Abbey Lounge in Cambridge with Bread and Roses, Tomorrow the Gallows and Serious Geniuses. This July they are on the road with Boston’s Lock and Key.

They officially formed just shy of a year ago when Dan Wallace (bass/vocals) and Matt Price (guitar/vocals) moved down south to Austin, TX. After mastering their sound, they moved back to Boston and joined up with one of the best damn drummers I’ve seen in a while (Mikey Holland).

Read on to see Matt from Movers & Shakers answer the same five questions Stranded In Stereo always asks.

Hailing from Boston, makes us better than all those non-Boston bands because
We have to lock ourselves into a practice space all winter long just to stay warm. Huddled together in a tiny room like that with a couple guitars laying around, you can really bang out some powerful stuff.


Name at least three bands that are still around and touring that you’d love to be on a bill with, and think it fits well
Tom Petty, I doubt we could gather the courage to even leave the dressing room, but if we could, it'd be the best night of my life. Against Me. The energy at their shows is unlike anything I've seen, I'd like to get a taste of that. And I have to say Green Day. What of it?

Your favorite Boston venue to perform in is
My heart still aches for the Reel Bar, which didn't have a long run. Playing there was the most fun I've had in Boston, and the capacity couldn't have been more than 50. The cover was $2 and the beer just as cheap, and every single person in the bar was there to have a big night. The Middle East ain't too bad either.

Are there any genres that influence your music conceptually, rather than sonically? (In that you can’t hear from simply listening to the music, but from getting into the structure or mathematics of the song-writing, etc.)
I think a very wide spectrum of music (and art in general) influences all of us profoundly. I often find myself impressed and inspired by somebody creating something that I would never dream of attempting, but that's what they do and I do what I do. Seeing anybody perform something that they truly believe in, even if it is the last thing I'd want to put on the stereo, is always an inspiration.


Your favorite local bar to hit up when not doing the whole band deal is
I've recently fell for Bukowski's in Inman Square. Mikey (drums) and I just moved to the neighborhood and it reflects exactly what I dig about the area. I have spent more nights than I'd like to say at the Model in Allston, sometimes aware of it, sometimes not. Their staff deserves a medal for the nonsense they have to put up with. Sorry!

[Myspace] http://www.myspace.com/moversandshakers

No comments: