Stranded In Stereo: Beastie Boys: The Mix-Up

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Beastie Boys: The Mix-Up

I remember being slightly out of it when I came home from a show one evening, and got an e-mail with details about the new album from the Beastie Boys. I woke up in the morning, and had to double check that: a new Beasties album (yes!) that was instrumental (huh?) A day or so later, I heard "The Rat Cage." I was actually surprised by how good and catchy it was: came off as a song once heard in a film surrounded by espionage. Still wished there were some vocals attached to it, but what can you do?

Rather than be a bunch of jams you'd hear at the club, the legendary trio from Brooklyn has gone back to using live instrumentation, like on their classic albums
Check Your Head and Ill Communication. The songs remind me mostly of Head's instrumental contributions: a nice drum beat, some delicate bass, and relaxed guitar. "Off The Grid" starts with some keyboard contributions from Money Mark, before going all post-punk halfway through and almost coming off as a second class Wire. What I think I like the most is that in the album's liner notes, they go by their actual names; no Mike D, or Ad Rock at all.

The band will do some instrumental/not-so instrumental live band shows in August. Ch-ch-ch-check them out.

Video for "The Rat Cage" (it even looks like a spy movie!):

No comments: