Stranded In Stereo: Rilo Kiley "Under The Blacklight" On Tour

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Rilo Kiley "Under The Blacklight" On Tour

When I first put on Rilo Kiley's 4th long player, I was shocked. Before the album had come out, all I had heard was "The Moneymaker," a song that took some time to grow on me (actually, I lie - I liked it from the get go. The rest of my co-workers were disgusted, I easily refer to it as a guilty pleasure. What? I like their attempt at Some Girls-era Stones.) The opening shine of "Silver Lining" painted a completely different portrait of the LA band: gone completely were the lo-fi brawn of Take Offs And Landings and instead was something even more polished than More Adventurous.

"Lining" would eventually grow on me, and "Close Call" was an instant fave with it being the closest thing to old school Rilo Kiley. I'm really trying more to appreciate "Breakin' Up" with it's cheesy back up singers and shlock, but it has a better chance of me liking it than the spanish speaking "Dejalo" or the Debbie Gibson cheese of "Give A Little Love."


What I do love is the 60s pop that is "Smoke Detector." Very summery guitar riffs, Jenny Lewis using the voice we all love (that's my problem with this record - why try and be a soul singer when you can do the cutesy thing you are used to?) and her most interesting of lyircs ever ('I took a man back to my room / I was smokin' him in bed.' 'Nuff said.) Danger, do the smoke detector indeed.


Either way, the record still holds up well in the end. And I better start liking these guys since they'll be coming to town next week and I'll be there. Go catch them yourself when they come to a town near you.

Touring:
09-13 Omaha, NE - Sokol Auditorium
09-14 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue

09-15 Chicago, IL - Riviera Theatre

09-17 Royal Oak, MI - Royal Oak Music Theatre

09-18 Toronto, Ontario - Phoenix Theatre

09-19 Montreal, Quebec - La Tulipe

09-21 Boston, MA - Avalon

09-22 New York, NY - Webster Hall

09-23 New York, NY - Webster Hall

09-25 Philadelphia, PA - Trocadero

09-26 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club

09-27 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club

09-28 Asheville, NC - The Orange Peel

09-29 Atlanta, GA - Variety Playhouse

10-01 Fort Lauderdale, FL - Revolution

10-02 Orlando, FL - House of Blues

10-04 New Orleans, LA - The Republic

10-05 Houston, TX - Warehouse Live

10-06 Dallas, TX - Palladium Ballroom

10-07 Austin, TX - Stubb's Bar-B-Q

10-09 Tucson, AZ - Rialto Theatre

10-10 Tempe, AZ - Marquee Theatre

10-12 San Diego, CA - SOMA

10-13 Las Vegas, NV - The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel

10-14 Anaheim, CA - The Grove

10-15 Santa Monica, CA - Civic Auditorium

Download: "Smoke Detector" [mp3] // [Buy Here]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!