Stranded In Stereo: SIS The Best of 2008: Top 30 Albums, #20-#11

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

SIS The Best of 2008: Top 30 Albums, #20-#11


After yesterday's startling revelation that Shirley Manson & Co. took home the first ever Album of the Year demarcation from yours truly, I was surprised that people were rallying behind me agreeing that it's a great album. Makes me feel pretty good to know that in 1998 I wasn't the only who thought that album was killer. I then sat down and listed my picks for Album of the Year from 1998 through 2007. The only one I can't remember is 2000; was it Yo La Tengo's brilliant ode to love,
And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out or was in Harvey Danger's amazing sophomore non-slump, King James Version that features one of my all-time favorite songs ("Loyalty Bldg.") I'm sure everyone is curious, so here is the actual list of my Albums of the Year since 1998:

'98 Garbage /
Version 2.0 / Almo Sounds
'99 Filter /
Title of Record / Reprise
'00 [you tell me]
'01 Gorillaz /
Gorillaz / Virgin
'02 Interpol /
Turn On The Bright Lights / Matador
'03 The Shins /
Chutes Too Narrow / Sub Pop
'04 Arcade Fire /
Funeral / Merge
'05 Eels /
Blinking Lights and Other Revelations / Vagrant
'06 The Flaming Lips /
At War With The Mystics / Warner Bros.
'07 The National /
Boxer / Beggars

You thought I was just gonna list '08 there, weren't you? Ha! As a consolation, let's take a look at the next set of albums on this year's Top 30. For the albums ranked between #11 and #20, there's a few surprises: albums that were pretty due for the Top 10 missed out, especially one that was in the Top 10 until the very last second. There's also an album from a band that were locked right in to the Top 10 last year, and that album that everyone and their mother seem to pick to take the top spot this year.

20. Death Cab For Cutie /
Narrow Stairs / Atlantic
19. Fleet Foxes /
Fleet Foxes / Sub Pop
18. Mason Jennings /
In The Ever / Brushfire
17. Department of Eagles /
In Ear Park / 4AD
16. Nada Surf /
Lucky / Barsuk
15. The Rosebuds /
Life Like / Merge
14. Damien Jurado /
Caught In The Trees / Secretly Canadian
13. R.E.M. /
Accelerate / Warner Bros.
12. Beck /
Modern Guilt / DGC
11. Hot Chip /
Made In The Dark / DFA/Astralwerks

1 comment:

fxhawaii said...

Goodness, there is really much worthwhile information above!