Stranded In Stereo: Can't Stop Spinning: Why There Are Mountains by Cymbals Eat Guitars

Monday, January 12, 2009

Can't Stop Spinning: Why There Are Mountains by Cymbals Eat Guitars

Snowy weekends like this past one were made for albums like this. Someday I'll be able to give myself the credit of discovering a band and making them big one year, but not for this one. As much as I would love to take the claim, it was not I who just happened on to them. I mean, I did stumble upon their awesomeness, it was just a message board I frequent that tons of other people do, too.

They're in the red on the blogdar meter, blogdar being that radar that us bloggers have, that sixth sense about bands that will explode. If these guys aren't the it band at CMJ this coming fall, I'll be in total shock and surprise. I will turn over my blogger license, cut it up in to several pieces.

Think Pavement. Think if Malkmus got the crew back together to make something of grand, epic proportions. Using strings at times and more exotic things like toy pianos and - was that glasses full of water - Cymbals Eat Gutiars even kind of channel Arcade Fire in some sick post-rock/post-hardcore kind of way. Like I mention Luna once did with "Math Wiz", grandiose opener "And The Hazy Sea" just starts already enveloped. Joseph Ferocious screams doo-wop styles over loud guitars, calaminous drums and an overall fracas that is equal parts catchy as it is dissonant. By the time you are in "Indiana", with its massive horn section and upright piano gallloping along, you'd think you've traded in dank club for wild west saloon, until the hemorraging guitars compete with the tickled ivories. "Wild Phoenix" shares this same sentiments, again utilizing the brass, while the centerpiece "Share" is all over the place for most of its seven minute duration. And lest we forget "Cold Spring", a song with a breakdown reminiscent of the best parts of
The Lonesome Crowded West.

Did I mention these guys aren't even signed yet? At least not to my knowledge they aren't. But I know that if they catch on to others like they have already caught on to me and other blogs, 2009 will be the year all instruments are in a cannibalistic battle with one another.

Download: "And The Hazy Sea" [mp3]

No comments: